They came in busloads from transportation collection points at Havre de Grace and Perryville, Maryland. The trainer was equipped with deck guns, a pilot house, davits with whaleboats, and mooring lines fastened to earth-bound bollards, so that crew members could learn casting off hawsers and other lines connecting the ship to its dock.
The recruits were given a battery of tests to determine their educational and skill levels, then trained in ordnance and gunnery, seamanship, fire fighting, physical training, and military drill. Halfway through boot camp, recruits had a "service week", which generally included kitchen duty, peeling potatoes, mopping, picking up cigarette butts, etc.
The first 500 recruits who graduated as seamen recruits on 23 June 1951.
On 3 November 1986, the United States Congress authorized the Secretary of the Navy to dispose of Naval Training Center, Bainbridge by sale to private parties or transfer to other government agencies.NTCB is the federal facilities equivalent of a brownfield site; the Navy's primary goal was effective re-use of the former property by the State of Maryland and the people of Cecil County. Navy had transferred this site to the Bainbridge Development Corporation and declared the cleanup complete.By the end of World War II, the center had trained 244,277 recruits who transferred to various ships and stations throughout the world.USNTC Bainbridge also trained new boot camp graduates and other sailors in technical and other skills.Recruits were trained in shipboard duties aboard the R. Recruits with desirable skills, such as typing, could end up on an office typewriter rather than in a kitchen.
One winter, recruits were sent to shovel snow off roads to a largely rural area near Colora and Rising Sun.
Located on the appropriated campus of the Tome School for boys, the training center sat between various important naval centers of World War II: about 35 miles (56 km) northeast of Baltimore, Maryland, and 75 miles (121 km) from Washington, D. It was reached via Maryland Route 222, about halfway between US 1 and US 40.
President Franklin Delano Roosevelt personally approved the site, which was seized from the Tome School by Congressional order.
The Recruit Training Command was the largest of the center's commands and was responsible for the basic training of recruits.
It consisted of four independent commands – known as camps—each of which had its own regimental drill hall, mess hall, barracks, class rooms, and so on: Each camp contained 5,000 male recruits.
Roosevelt also chose the name to honor Commodore William Bainbridge, who commanded the frigate Constitution when it defeated the British frigate HMS Java during the War of 1812.